Parent Information for Section 504
What is Section 504?
Section 504 is a part of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 that prohibits discrimination based upon disability. Section 504 is an anti-discrimination, civil rights statute that requires the needs of students with disabilities to be met as adequately as the needs of the non-disabled are met. Section 504 is designed to provide equal access and fairness in general education to students with disabilities, thereby leveling the playing field for them through what is known as a Section 504 Accommodation Plan.
Who do I contact if I have questions about Section 504?
Each campus has a Section 504 Campus Coordinator. Any questions regarding your child’s possible eligibility for Section 504 should first be brought to the attention of the 504 Campus Coordinator.
- Section 504 Child Find
- Notice of Parent and Student Rights Under Section 504
- Notificación de los Derechos del Progenitor Y del Alumno Según la Sección 504
- Grievance Process
- Dyslexia Handbook
- El Manual Sobre la Dislexia
- The National Resource Center on ADHD
- Understood.org: Resources for Learning and Attention Issues
- Parent and Educator Resource Guide to 504
- Students with Disabilities Preparing for Postsecondary Education